John J. Thatamanil is associate professor of theology and world religions at Union Theological Seminary. When possible, he lives in Victoria and attends Christ Church Cathedral. John is the author of Circling the Elephant: A Comparative Theology of Religious Diversity and The Immanent Divine: God, Creation, and the Human Predicament.
Sulin Milne is the incumbent at St Peter in Comox and previously served as pioneer priest in the Church in Wales. She moved to Vancouver Island in September 2019, bringing with her three children and a dog.
ABOUT THIS SESSION
The World Council of Churches Faith and Order Paper No 111 names five elements of what takes place in baptism:
- Participation in Christ’s Death and Resurrection
- Conversion, Pardoning and Cleansing
- The Gift of the Spirit
- Incorporation into the Body of Christ
- The Sign of the Kingdom
Each of these is worthy of remembering, as well as ongoing reflection and meditation. In our baptismal liturgy in the Book of Alternative Serivces each candidate for baptism is asked six questions. This session explores the following two questions:
- Will you proclaim by word and example the good news of God in Christ?
- Will you seek and serve Christ in all persons, loving your neighbour as yourself?