Permanent/Part-time Administrative Assistant
Hours of Work: 16 hours per week to be distributed from Monday to Friday and determined in conjunction with the incumbent (hours/week may be increased pending return to regular church services).
Remuneration :$20.00/hr with annual cost of living increases.
Three weeks of paid vacation time to be taken at times mutually agreed upon by the employee and Rector.)
Benefits: Applicable source deductions as required by government.
Start Date: Monday, September 14, 2020.(Paid training days Wednesday, Thursday & Friday, September 9, 10, 11. (Due to interview scheduling and hiring these days may need to be adjusted.)
About the Position
The administrative Assistant is the first point of contact person for staff, volunteers, parishioners, visitors and other businesses and entities related to the functioning of a busy parish church. He/She will have knowledge of all operations, events and services offered at St. Barnabas and be able to communicate such matters with the Synod Office and other organizations accordingly. The Administrative Assistant reports directly to the Rector or the Rector’s designate.
The preferred candidate will:
- Have a familiarity with church community and tradition, preferably with the Anglican tradition and/or will be willing to learn in order to prepare weekly bulletins and other required parish materials. v Have excellent interpersonal relationship and communication skills.
- Be flexible and understanding when working with volunteers and rental groups.
- Be self-directed and proactive in the absence of rector, clergy and/or wardens; have a strong work ethic.
- Have strong time management skills and be able to prioritize tasks with efficiency.
- Demonstrate compassion and empathy; be cheerful, calm, and welcoming.
- Have the capacity and desire to work as part of a team; be collaborative and cooperative.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage all aspects required in the daily operation and functioning of an office setting.
- Prepare weekly Sunday service bulletins and all other bulletins for special services, events and festivals.
- Prepare and print parish-related materials, eg. Daily intersessions list, parish council meetings, reports and materials for the AGM.
- At the rector’s and other clergy’s direction, contact all personnel involved with special church services and meetings such as funerals, AGM’s, etc.
- Secure necessary permits and arrange for annual inspections; eg. Fire, alarm; coordinate routine contracts, eg. Garbage/recycling, photocopier, phone, IT.
- Coordinate and communicate financial matters, eg. receiving invoices and requesting reimbursement cheques from the bookkeeper, submit cheque requests for payroll, get required signatures for outgoing cheques and distribute them, file cheque stubs and coordinate with bookkeeper on accounts.
- Advise appropriate committees and/or wardens on maintenance requirements.
- Manage church and hall bookings and scheduling in conjunction with the rector, family life minister and wardens.
- Manage daily needs of church hall renters.
- Communicate cleaning needs with the custodian.
- Maintain and update the church website; manage and post on social media as required.
- Maintain and respect confidentiality with respect to personnel and parishioner matters. Comply with the Diocesan Privacy Policies, Diocesan Employment Standards, the Safe Church doctrine and the Responsible Ministry: Screening in Faith Policy of the Diocese of BC.
- Current Criminal Record check.
- Computer skills, including MS Office (Word and Excel), Google apps (Calendar, Docs, Sheets), basic photo-editing.
- Experience in basic graphic design and/or a willingness and aptitude to learn.
- Proficiency in proof-reading and editorial skills.
Please complete and email the attached application form along with a covering letter that describes your strengths and compatibility with the requirements of this position. Prospective candidates will be interviewed on September 3 and 4. If you would like further information regarding this position, please email Bonnie Stacy at email@example.com.
Please submit applications by Friday, August 28.
Email application and covering letter to Ms. Bonnie Stacy, rector’s warden.